Missing MUVE? We miss you too! We know many students rely on MUVE Volunteer Workdays for service hour requirements for school and ways to give back to the environment.
In lieu of large volunteer events, MUVE invites you to participate in citizen science safely around your neighborhood, in parks or at the beach. In return, MUVE will provide service hour letters of up to 10 hours per month throughout the school year.
iNaturalist – There is nature all around us, even in our cities! Observing nature helps us study and protect it. As citizen scientists using iNaturalist, you can contribute to biodiversity science.
How to receive hours for MUVE? You’ll need access to the internet or a smartphone and the ability to take and upload photos.
- Create a FREE account with iNaturalist.
- Get outside and photograph plants, wildlife or evidence of wildlife.
- Upload these photos either through the iNaturalist smartphone application or inaturalsit.org.
- E-mail email@example.com your username so we can confirm you have uploaded observations. Please include your full name in the subject line.
- For every 10 valid observations you will receive an hour of community service, maximum 5 hours per month.
CleanSwell – Submit data to the Ocean Conservancy’s global ocean trash data base which provides researchers and policymakers a snapshot of pollution problems and ideas for solutions. You can track your positive impact through the CleanSwell app on any smartphone device.
How to receive hours for MUVE? You’ll need a smart phone with the FREE CleanSwell application downloaded.
- Venture to a beach, park or neighborhood where it is safe to do a cleanup.
- Open your CleanSwell app and click “start collecting”.
- Record all of the debris you pick up directly in the app.
- When you are finished, dispose of the trash properly and click “done collecting”.
- Take a screen shot of the “Review Your Cleanup” screen. Make sure to include the duration of cleanup, total pounds collected and the date of the cleanup in the screenshot. E-mail this image to firstname.lastname@example.org and include your full name in the subject line. You can receive a maximum of 5 hours per month.
- Click “Submit Your Data”.
Adopt a Tree – If you’re missing MUVE and also want to make a lasting contribution to their current enhancement sites you can Adopt a Tree! The purchase of a native plant will go directly toward, the restoration of Miami’s coastal habitats and support our conservation efforts. You will receive a digital certification, photo and letter of appreciation outlining details of your specific tree and the environment in which it was planted.