Welcome to LATE, a monthly after-hours series by the Phillip and Patricia Frost Museum of Science that takes a deeper look at the scientific wonders within the museum. Each event features special guests, live performances, cocktails, interactive installations by creative partners and mind-bending discussions and panels.
First up is SEEING: WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING AT?, on display at Frost Science until October 9. Straight from Dublin’s Science Gallery, SEEING questions how eyes, brains and robots see, while tackling the complex sensory experience of vision, understanding and perception.
On Wednesday, September 27 from 6:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m., LATE will be taking a deeper look into this exhibition with SEEING 004, an exploration of “Optics.” How does our brain see? Optical illusions deceive our brain by appearing to be other than they are when seen through our eyes. How can we trick the brain?
Featured activations include:
- 3D Printed Stereographic Projections by Moonlighter Makerspace: Bend light and explore a ‘playground’ of optical trickery where 3D-printed geometries reveal different patterns when illuminated.
- Levels and Bosses Preview, a virtual reality experience by artist Leo Castaneda.
- A photo Booth by YP Photo Booth: Get your photo taken in our “Optics” photo booth and share with your networks.
- Spinning White Light by Pérez Art Museum Miami: Through color blocking and arrangements, explore how all colors create white light.
The evening’s creative talks under the Gulf Stream Aquarium oculus will feature Bascom Palmer Eye Institute’s assistant professor of ophthalmology Dr. Ranya Habash, whose presentation on optical illusions found in nature and art will shatter your perception of sight, Dr. Van Hamme, FIU professor of physics and astronomy, as well as Leo Casteneda, a YoungArts Alum and Colombian born artist working in the intersection of virtual reality, gaming, performance and interactive sculpture. Live musical performance by Anna Palmerola.
So, grab a drink. Discover something new. Because tonight, you’re staying out LATE.
Admission: $8 for adults, Frost Science members free. Space is limited – pre-purchase highly recommended. Admission does not include food/drink. Food and beverage will be available for purchase. Members should bring membership card for quick entry. Please note: the event includes access to the museum’s SEEING exhibition in the West Wing. All other exhibitions close at 6 p.m.
Tickets are non-refundable. Rain or shine.
- Onsite parking is limited