Strengthening South Florida’s Economy
New ideas, new technology and the application of new business models will play critical roles in advancing South Florida’s future. As the region’s premier multi-purpose science and technology institution, the Patricia and Phillip Frost Museum of Science will support the innovation-oriented creative industries of the 21st century. As a “next generation” science museum, Frost Science will also create vital new linkages between the South Florida region and the global education, science, tourism and business communities.
Here are eight reasonsFrost Science will make a major difference to Miami’s future:
1. Frost Science will enhance Miami’s sense of place. Miami is a unique bridge between hemispheres and a gateway to cultures and experiences around the world. By presenting fundamental scientific concepts from the unique perspective of Miami’s cultures, Frost Science will engage, intrigue, and excite its members and guests.
2. Frost Science will showcase South Florida’s ecological diversity. Frost Science will support the region’s ecological diversity and suggest ways to help preserve Florida’s natural splendor. Close observation and contact with live animals is a compelling educational experience that cannot be duplicated through any other means. No book or TV show can match the experience of touching the smooth scales of a snake, the rough skin of a lizard or the hair of a spider. No video can duplicate the awe-inspiring moment when a child makes his first eye contact with a bird of prey and feel the breeze emitted by the power of one flap of its wings. This learning experience creates a memory that will last a lifetime. A live encounter deepens the desire to understand our world, and inspires us to improve the environment we share with these ambassadors.
3. Frost Science will focus attention on sustainable living. Minimizing the use of energy and water and the creation of waste are central to sustainable living in South Florida. The entire facility will be designed through the integration of architectural and engineering systems to create a building that is sustainable and meets Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) criteria from the U.S. Green Building Council.
4. Frost Science will support multiculturalism. As a marketplace for ideas, Frost Science will allow people of different backgrounds to meet and exchange views and knowledge. It will also demonstrate its commitment to multiculturalism through exhibit information, and through the customer service staff.
5. Frost Science will integrate global communities. A core part of the Frost Science experience will be the integration of worldwide professional communities, such as museum educators, academic researchers, and technology-oriented businesses as well as students at all grade levels.
6. Frost Science will teach the teachers. Frost Science will offer teachers and other education professionals an opportunity to explore their understanding of hands-on science and inquiry-based learning approaches.
7. Frost Science will open doors to new careers. Frost Science will include an area devoted to science and technology careers that are central to South Florida’s economy with activities that are appropriate for ages from pre-K to senior citizens.
8. Frost Science will be a meeting place for people as well as ideas. Frost Science will offer far more than static displays and interactive exhibits – it will be a unique and stimulating meeting place for business, cultural and social gatherings.